Thursday, October 16, 2008

VINTAGE THINGIE THURSDAY


Hello...remember me? I used to participate in VTT religiously, just like the Sistah's at Holy Crappers. Then I went on vacation. And I was gone for five VTTs. Now I'm back!

I have a special friend who wants to help me this week.....


That's right, it's my little astronaut from NASA....out of uniform.

This is an ivory carved bullfighter and bull, under glass, in a velvet frame. My husband bought this in the late 50's, when he was in the Navy, serving in the Mediterranean when it was a great tour of duty.


Like most of my hangable things, I haven't hung it yet. Maybe I'm not making sense...should I repeat that? Anyway, that's why my little friend was holding it upright for you to see.




The back is all sealed up, and I would like to take it somewhere to have it opened so I can clean the glass in the inside.




The carved ivory is very detailed. One day I will have a 40 pixel camera for all the detailed stuff, because 8 doesn't do it.


Now I have to go see all the other vintage goodies this Thursday.

If you have something to share, please visit Confessions of An Apron Queen and add you name and link to this week's list. It's a great way to intoduce your blog to others, and see some pretty nice vintage treasures.

And while I'm at it, please stop by Shell In Your Pocket and spend some time looking around. You will want to go back again. The icing on the cake is a give away she's having. Hop on over!



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

How interesting..thanks for sharing :)

Coloradolady said...

What a great piece of artwork. Very unusual. Lovely.

mub said...

These are really neat! Thanks for sharing =)

If you want a good detail shot, most digital cameras have a macro function (it is usually a button with a little flower by it). If you use that it focuses really well on closeups to you can see all the nitty gritty details! I hope that helps =)

Busy Bee Suz said...

I was wondering when you were getting back on the horse again.
I hope you get that 40 pixel soon, but the piece looks very pretty. I am sure it is rare, since I think ivory has been illegal for some time too.
The bear is cute. Does he have a name or does he just prefer
Astronaut bear?
Take care, Suz

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

AS much as I love your ivory carving, I love that astronaut bear even more. I hardly recognized him out of uniform.

I think you should designate one day a week to Mr. Bear and dress him up in different outfits to go with the theme of your post.

OF course, if you wanted to dress up real men and put those pictures up, that'd work too.

The Traveling Yogi said...

Ok, your comment on my blog cracked me up!!!! And, yes, my husband does occasionally call me sexy.

Anonymous said...

Well the fact that this is carved ivory makes it vintage and collectible for sure. Interesting piece...

Unknown said...

I wish I could buy you a 40 pixel camera : ), but I can tell this is a beautiful piece even with your 8 pixels! How do you like being back in Texas?

Shell in your Pocket said...

Thanks for stopping by today!!!! I can't wait to see who wins!!! How fun!

-Sandy Toes

Big Hair Envy said...

What a neat picture. I've never understood how people could carve delicate things....I'd either cut my finger off, or smash the thing in the floor in frustration! Mr. Bear is quite handsome - even out of uniform.

Are you still singing the monkey song? I won't banish you from my site for it! What was THAT about?? An oversensitive blogger perhaps?

Anonymous said...

Hey nana j!! Just wanted to check in and let you know that I'm still reading EVERYDAY!! Even though I'm not commenting. This work thing isn't as fun as I imagined!!! Glad you are home safe and still single!xoxo

Unknown said...

Real ivory; can't get that anymore! This is lovely.

Anonymous said...

ohhh Grandma!!!!! Love this!!!

So damn cool!!

BTW...welcome back from your world-wind vaca.


peace
#2

Unknown said...

CBW, my little astronaut is getting bored. I just may have to put him to work more often.

BHE, I love the Monkey/Birthday song...I'm just careful about who appreciates it.

Rebeckah, you are such an angel...I'm going to take mub's advice and see if that doesn't help. Or I could read the manual.

I forgot about ivory being illegal now. Please know that I wasn't involved in any poaching activities. I don't want to lose any of my green friends (suz).

Nick! I'm so glad you are enjoying your new job! I know it's not a gravy train like your last one, but you have to suck it up! Yes, I had a great time, but I'm glad to be home. It warms my heart to know you check in every day. :)

Kellie said...

Very cool. I wonder how long it took the artist to carve that?

JEWELGIRL said...

Welcome back! I love it when they
mark artwork on the back, it saves
time digging through e-bay when
your looking to name it. It is a
lovely Spanish piece. Don't think
this would make through customs
these days!?

Sarah said...

Lovely!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Hello once again. Just another pleading for Mr. Bear to don more outfits - you realize Halloween is just around the corner, just think what you could do with that. ANd then Thanksgiving - a pilgrim? And couldn't he be made to look like Cloris Leachman? I'll bet he can dance a jig.

Anyway, I finally did your meme and it will go up at 12:01 a.m. eastern time. I"ve written you a new job description in the opening paragraph.

Love your humor.
-cbw