Monday, November 3, 2008


FRIDAY MATINEE ON MONDAY...
...eveningish




I went to see The Secret Life of Bees! I have to say I enjoyed it a lot.

Lily Owens has been troubled since she was four, when she shot her mother to death during a heated argument between her parents. As she grew older, her father refused to talk to her about it and was very abusive. When Lily's nanny, Rosaleen gets beaten to a pulp for trying to register to vote, Lilly gets into a heated argument with her father, and talks Rosaleen into running away to a town that has a link to her mother's past.

They end up at the home of the eccentric Boatwright sisters who run a thriving business bottling honey. They are welcomed with open arms, and find themselves in an environment unlike the one they were used to.


This is a tale of optimism and female empowerment during the Civil Rights Movement. Several themes are explored......from racism, to religion, loneliness, love the loss of ignorance. There is quite a bit of spiritual symbolism that delivers a very effective feminist message.

I give this movie, five stars!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! I want to see it even more now.

Biddy said...

ooh i want to see that!

have you seen The Women yet? also VERY good

Busy Bee Suz said...

I can't wait to see it...the book was great.
Glad to see it got 5 stars!!

Unknown said...

5 stars?! That is a great review! I haven't been to the movies in a long time, but I would love to see this! If you give it 5 stars I know it is OFF THE HOOK GREAT : )!

Anonymous said...

Didn't see the movie but read the book- great read! Can't wait to go and see it.
Kelly