Monday, May 25, 2009



Honoring Our Fallen Heroes


Today I spent a couple of hours at the Veteran's Cemetery here in Central Texas.


United States Senator John Cornyn reminded us that while we honor all fallen heroes today, the servicemen and women who serve our country today are volunteers, willingly putting their lives on the line for our freedoms.


Lt General Lynch spoke about the names of his fallen soldiers that he inscribes in his bible, and how he prays their names out loud every morning. He reminded us that our Soldiers are still fighting a Worldwide War on Terror. He then presented gold metals to children of fallen service men and women, taking the time to speak to each one.




I was lucky enough to shake his hand and thank him for his service. Then he wanted to take a picture with me a soldier with Gen. Lynch asked for my camera, and took our picture. I emailed it to my SIL in Iraq. He will not be surprised!

On a side note....Grandma J has yet to figure out just how much Kleenex is necessary for these events.




17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a terrific way to commemorate Memorial Day. No doubt your SIL is happy to receive any email from you, but this one with the photo will be extra special.

Karen B.

Linda said...

That was really nice!

Unknown said...

How nice that you got to attend that service.

Anonymous said...

This is truly a special day and hopefully everyone will realize that it's not just for picnics and parties. Good for you Grandma J.

Anonymous said...

Karen is right, it's about more than BBQs and picnics.

Oh, and you are so shy. It can't be said enough, can it?

Colin

Karen Deborah said...

wow good for you! thank your son in law for all of us too!

Country Girl said...

What a wonderful way to spend this day. Well done!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Awesome.

On an unrelated note, I'm going to guess that your pocketbook was black or black/white. To match your shades of course.

Good for you for participating in a Memorial Day event.

Jen said...

God bless our service men and women!

M said...

Yahoo for the great post! And a photo with a good looking dude!
Happy Monday...almost Tuesday...just arrived home and am going to bed....after a load of laundry is ready for the dryer :)

mdvelazquez said...

Excellent way to spend Memorial Day.

Pat Jenkins said...

good stuff grandma j!! and good picture!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

You are so wonderful to attend this ceremony. What a wonderful way to spend Memorial day...love the picture. I would need a few boxes of tissues myself.

Mental P Mama said...

I attended a similar event. I cried the entire time. Good for you!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Honoring those who serve and those who have fallen is a wonderful way to spend Memorial Day! I watched some of the ceremonies on TV. They always are a wake up call.

Big Hair Envy said...

I can't think of a better way to spend Memorial Day! I'm sure your SIL will agree...:)

BTW - You and Gen. Lynch make a cute couple! Just sayin'.

Unknown said...

I started crying as soon as I read the title of the post. Crying like a baby! I am so thankful for the men and women who fight for our freedom. We are very blessed indeed!