Tuesday, September 16, 2008


....or pretty much any food for two days.

After cruising Glacier Bay.....if in fact cruise ships actually cruise, we headed up to College Fjord. I wasn't quite sure what to expect so I checked the definition and a fjord is a long, narrow inlet with steep sides, created in a valley carved by glacial activity.

It was getting a bit chillier,and damper as we made our way northward.

So here is another glacier.....

How about the same one up close....thanks to zoom lenses.

And then even closer....because it was too cold to wait for the next one.

We had one night of rough seas. I headed towards the 24 your buffet, and this is what I saw.....

The pool was dancing under the sky....creating it's own tsunami.
Before I knew it, our Alaskan Cruise was coming to an end. Nine friends got to know each other much better, and discovered stuff that we dare not share with the outside world will never forget. Our last Supper together was nice. I really enjoyed all the fun we had every night at dinner. We were probably the loudest, and we got our share of dirty looks from some of the other passengers....but Joey and Brian were cool....every night. They brought us numerous extras, especially the desserts. We had one friend, Tess, who never had dessert. Of course Tess is thin and always had salad, and never ate red meat...or dessert.

So on the last night Joey and Brian gave this to Tess....then we all fought over who was going to lick the plate take her picture!

After dinner, we pooled our resources and gave the waiters a nice farewell tip...for real. we headed to the final show of our trip in the cruise theatre.

Once again we found a couple of the desperate crew members soliciting for favors. Of course Jan and I jumped up to volunteer.

In the dark of night, our ship docked in Whittier Alaska. Early the next morning we all met for breakfast at six, Tess and I were headed for the Anchorage airport to journey to Southern California...she was on Alaska Airlines in the South Terminal, and I was booked on US Airways in the North Terminal. The rest of our pack were headed out on a four day land excursion to Denali National Park.

Tess had a four hour wait for her plane....she probably ate at Chili's or Hooter's or some other restaurant, because there were several options. I on the other hand had a soft drink vending machine, and a chip machine...that was out of order. I could have eaten at the South Terminal if I had a boarding pass. I didn't have one because the ticket counter for US Airways, in the North Terminal was closed until morning because my flight was canceled and the next one was at 7:30 a.m.

That would be the next day! When everything shut down, the last soul out of the terminal except me, was Phillip....he's also the last man in Anchorage. He was the keeper of the luggage closet...where you can store your luggage until 10 P.M. That's when he brought mine out to me after I paid her $8 each to store them.

Between my last trip to Las Vegas, where I had to spend the night in the Houston airport, and this time sitting in a chair watching CNN all night,Now, I've decided from now on, it's road trips. Then I won't have to rent a car for three weeks either. I still have one more trip back to Texas, and I've upgraded it to first class.

So there you go....my long awaited Alaskan cruise. Tomorrow morning I head down to Ladera Ranch to spend a few days with heartshapedhedges and her family. I will be zigging and zagging for three weeks, and hopefully I can get some blogging in more frequently. Stay tuned for the highlights of my first day with Pooper Beauty and Little One......most of the focus on Beauty, as we head on out for our pedi/mani and some shopping and eating....

I know it's rumored that I spent the whole time trolling for men....nothing could be further from the truth. I spent most of my time hanging out with the girls...John tagged along. Other men noted, were accidental and incidental.


Busy Bee Suz said...

Sounds like a fabulous time, aside from the night in the airport. I have never had to do this yet and hope to avoid it at all costs.
Love the "nothing dessert plate" very cute.
Enjoy your family. Can't wait to see more pics and hear funny stories.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Oh, PLEASE send me one of those incidental and accidental men...I'll take the one next to you in the "hugshot" picture.

I love living vicariously through you, and cannot wait to see what "accidental and incidental" men show up in California. Please try and incidentally and accidentally find some with no shirts on, OK?

Have fun and be safe.

Anonymous said...

Grandma J,

If you flight was cancelled until the next day, why on earth did you not get a hotel and food vouchers? I would have been on the phone with USAir, if their ticket counter was closed, and insisted on either another flight that day on another airline or vouchers. Weren't there other people on your flight in that same situation? An overnight in a closed airport is just unacceptable. What a nightmare end to a fabulous trip.

jlo said...

Sounds like you had a blast. You could cruise with me any time Grandma J...I'm a major cruiser!
Hope to see you soon?

Unknown said...

CBW, you know, I never thought of asking any of the men to take off their shirt for a picture. I don't think any of them would have objected...maybe Phillip. I will definitely keep that in mind during my stay in CA.

rsmdianne, yeah, I hear ya about the airlines comping me a hotel room, but there wasn't anyone there. I found out the time I was grounded and stranded in Houston, that if there is an adverse weather condition within the universe, they will blame the cancellation on it...thus, no comps. The airlines are no longer very accomodating or sympathetic, sad but true. Others were in my situation, and the worst were the people connecting through Houston...they really had delays, beyond Anchorage. I was one of the lucky ones.

Jlo, my next cruise will be along the St. Lawrence River. It's been a dream of mine for years. I want to see Montreal (for genealogy)and settlements along the river. Smaller vessels, but nice.

Suz, hopefully I will have some interesting stuff to blog about here in So CA. Like Jason Inc.

Big Hair Envy said...

Enjoy your time in SoCal...I know it will be fun if it has started off with a mani/pedi!!

When you finish traveling and return home, we really need to sit down and chat about all of those men in your life. You are a man-magnet, and you could be breaking hearts all over the country:)

Unknown said...

I love that you had a nice time on your trip. You needed a nice break : )! I am so excited for your time with Beauty. I can't wait to hear about your spa experience. Isn't it so much fun having girl grandchildren? I want a girl so bad. If she is as cute as Little Beauty, I will be lucky. That girl is adorable to the max! Much Love!

Katrine said...

Stunning! And I am officially jealous!

Karen Deborah said...

What a time to go through Houston, BUT it was a great trip and now we know the CBW has red blood running through her crazy veins. she wants some chest hair pics! BAWAHAHA

M said...

Sounds like you had a great trip!!

Have fun in So Cal...I will be heading down Friday to Rancho Bernardo to see Will Ferrell!

Unknown said...

Yesterday I passed a little spa for girls we have here called Justus for Girls and I thought of you and the Princess getting her nails done : ). Hope your trip is going fantastically! We are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures there grandma!!!!
I love cruises....


Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun!